Tips for Consumers from the Institute of
Inspection, Cleaning, Restoration and Certification

Mould becomes a problem inside a home when there’s excessive humidity or moisture.

Truth About Mold

The problem can originate from sudden water releases, like a burst pipe or large spill, or a chronic condition such as a leaking roof or plumbing. Even high humidity or warm, moist air condensing on cool surfaces can trigger mould problems. It’s always best to have the mould assessed and removed by a certified professional.

Mould can grow almost anywhere in a home if conditions permit. If there is visible growth on painted wall surfaces, a homeowner should be concerned about what may be growing on the opposite side. The environment inside the walls of a house often differs drastically from the outside and could create a perfect haven for mould. If the wall was wet for a prolonged period, it’s almost guaranteed that the mould growth on the back side will be worse than on the front. At that point, containing the workspace and removing mouldy materials, followed by cleaning of salvageable framing, are the best options.

The non-profit Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) recommends that homeowners contact a certified professional to ensure that mould is removed correctly and occupants are protected throughout the job. Typically, to contain and prevent further contamination, certified professionals can: